Entry: 1late Pronunciation: 'lAt Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, late, slow, from Old English
l[ae]t; akin to Old High German laz, Old English l[AE]tan
to let Main Entry: 1lat.est Pronunciation: 'lA-t&st
Function: adjective Date: 1588 1 : most recent
Rob live at one of these events!
GIANT MONSTER TALES 1, 2 and 3 are now available on Amazon. Check them out here.
STORIES / NOVELS / ARTICLES SOLD
"Soul Killer" -- a 15,000 word novella -- will be published as part of the Zombies vs Robots multi-volume fiction project edited by Jeff Conner for IDW Publishing (US). It will appear in ZVR Diplomacy in July 2013 and subsequently in Volume 2 of the compendium edition in 2014.
"Escena de un Asesinato" has been accepted for Exotic Gothic 4, edited by Danel Olson, to be published by PS Publishing in July 2012.
WHAT'S OUT THERE?
A dark-crime/horror novel Scavengers is currently doing the rounds. I'm getting a lot of comments along the lines of "It's a great read, but unfortunately we're looking for something a bit more conventional." (I paraphrase!)
"Footprints in Venom", which was originally to appear in the anthology In the Footsteps of Gilgamesh for Gilgamesh Press, is now a free agent as the anthology has been cancelled.
Robot War Espresso, a SF novel about robots, coffee and mortality, is undergoing major revision.
I may be writing a commissioned story about Ozma, Princess of Oz, set noirish fashion in the Emerald City. Stay tuned.
My epic fantasy novel Fragment of a Broken Land: Valarl Undead has been published by BorgoPress/Wildside Press as of March 2013 and is available in trade paperback and e-formats from online stores and selected bookstores. Visit the Fragments of a Broken Land site.
Creeping in Reptile Flesh, first published
in 2008 by Altair
Australia Books in a limited format, has just been reprinted by Morrigan Books and is now available from Smashwords in a variety of e-book formats and on Amazon in book form and for Kindle.
was Featured Author
on the very excellent IDEOMANCER SPECULATIVE
FICTION website during January, February and
March 2003. On the site you will find a then new story, "Nobody's
Car", as well as two reprints -- "Rotten Times"
(which was shortlisted for an Aurealis award in 2000)
and "Necropolis" (from Day-dreaming
on Company Time). There is also a new interview
conducted by Deborah Biancotti. Check
out the site at www.ideomancer.com. Note:
you'll have to go to the Previous
Issues section now! Time marches on!
- New interview by Kathryn Linge for the Australian 2010 Snapshot project here.
accepted stories, awaiting publication
- "Soul Killer" in ZVR Dpilomacy, as part of the Zombies vs Robots fiction project, edited by Jeff Conner, IDW Publishing, July 2013
Published stories / novels / articles since 2005
- Fragments of a Broken Land: Valarl Undead, Robert Hood, Borgo Press/Wildside Press, 2013.
- "Garuthgonar and the Abyss", published as e-book by UndeadBackbrain Publications, 2013.
- "Dark Witness, published as e-book by UndeadBackbrain Publications, 2013.
- "Escena de un Asesinato", Exotic Gothic 4, edited by Danel Olson, PS Publishing, July 2012.
- "Walking the Dead Beat", Damnation and Dames, edited by Amanda Pillar and Liz Grzy for Ticonderoga Publications, 2012.
Madonna", Anywhere But Earth,
edited by Keith Stevenson. Coeur De Lion,
- "Making Fish out of Men: Gothic Uncertainty in Gould's Book of Fish by Richard Flanagan", 21st Century Gothic: Great Gothic Novels Since 2000, edited by Danel Olson, The Scarecrow Press, 2011.
- "Wasting Matilda", Zombie Apocalypse! edited by Stephen Jones, Robinson UK/Running Press US, October 2010.
- "Primal Etiquette", Orb: Greatest Hits. Issue #8: The Best of Orb, ed. Sarah Endacott, EOD, September 2010.
- "Ego", Scenes From the Second Storey, ed. Amanda Pillar and Pete Kempshall, Morrigan Books, September 2010.
- "Getting Rid of Mother", The Year's Best Australian Science Fiction & Fantasy, Fifth Annual Volume, ed. Bill Congreve, MirrorDanse Books. September 2010.
- "Behind Dark Blue Eyes", Exotic Gothic 3, ed. Danel Olson, Ash-Tree Press, December 2009
- "Sandcrawlers", Dead Souls, edited by Mark S. Deniz, Morrigan Books, 2009. Re-print.
- "Kulpunya", Exotic Gothic 2, edited Danel Olson,
Ash-Tree Press, 2008.
- "Remainders", Voices, edited by Mark S. Deniz and Amanda
Pillar, Morrigan Books, 2008. [This comprises six discrete
but connected short stories: "1928", "1948",
"1968", "1988", "2008"
and "Epilogue"), which introduce each section
of the anthology.]
Au Gratin", Scary Food, edited
by Cat Sparks, Agog! Press 2008 (fundraiser for Paul Haines).
in Reptile Flesh", Creeping in Reptile Flesh, Robert Hood (Altair Australia
Rid of Mother", Creeping in Reptile Flesh,
Robert Hood (Altair Australia Books 2008)
- "Unravelling", Creeping in Reptile Flesh, Robert Hood (Altair Australia Books 2008)
- "Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast" in
Studies in Australian Weird Fiction,
vol. 2, edited by Benjamin Szumskyj (Equilibrium
Books, Aust.) [column]
- "Abandoned", Trust Me!, edited Paul Collin
(Ford Street Publishing, 2008)
Box, edited by Shane Jiraiya Cummings
(Brimstone Press, 2008)
Ossuary: Ghosts, Monsters and Chainsaws" in
Studies in Australian Weird Fiction,
vol. 1, edited by Benjamin Szumskyj (Equilibrium
Books, Aust.) [column]
of Cthulhu's Mum", Conflux 5 Progress
Report, February 2008 -- read it here.
of the Masses" -- an SF tale speculating on
the near-future of work -- accepted for publication
in The Workers' Paradise, edited
by Russell B. Farr and Nick Evans, Ticonderoga Press,
the Service of the Flesh", Australian
Dark Fantasy and Horror 2007 Edition, edited
Angela Challis, Brimstone Press, 2007 [reprint]
and Bone", Daikaiju! 3: Giant Monsters
vs the World, edited Robert Hood and Robin
Pen, Agog! Press/Prime Books, 2007
Bright Tomorrows", In Bad Dreams: Where
Real Life Awaits, edited Mark Sin Deniz
and Sharyn Lilley, Eneit Press, 2007
Mary", Conflux 4 Program,
September 2007 -- read it here.
Wonder Stories , edited Russell B.
Farr, Ticonderoga Press, March 2007
and Black Ooze", Dr Who Short Trips:
Destination: Prague, edited Steve Savile,
Big Finish, July 2007
of War", Borderlands, issue
Moment of Dying", Shadowed
Realms #11, edited Angela Challis
Giant Against Giants: Ultraman for the New Millennium",
cØck, edited by
Keith Stevenson and Andrew Macrae, Coeur
de Lion Press, 2006.
and Super-monster: A History of Daikaiju Eiga and
its Metaphorical Undercurrents", Borderlands
Fables and Reflections #8, edited
Cosmos, Issue 5, November 2005.
Kingdom: King Kong vs Godzilla", in King
King Is Back! An Unauthorized Look at One Humongous
Ape, edited by David Brin (BenBella Books,
the Service of the Flesh", Aurealis
#36 , 2005.
"<term UNTRANSLATABLE>", Ticonderoga
Online, No. 4, June 2005
of my publication may be available
to be bought from me. Anyone interested should email
me a firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: postage will be in addition to these prices,
and will be charged according to destination on a
straight cost basis.
on Company Time
||Daikaiju! Giant Monster Tales
||Now available on Amazon
- the latest - new
projects - faq -
bio - biblio
- scribblings -
obsessions - links - Dreamer of Furious Oceans - Undead Backbrain