Producer Brian Rogers talked to “zennie62” about the in-production Legendary Pictures “re-boot” of Godzilla.
The key points are:
- We’re looking at a 2012 release.
- Godzilla will be created using CGI. Otherwise the film is live action.
- Godzilla will fight another monster or even monsters.
- They want this Godzilla to be true to the original Japanese Godzilla, in both appearance and general narrative approach.
- They want to “re-boot” Godzilla the way they re-booted Batman in Batman Begins — not necessarily in a technical sense (violent camera editing, dark ambiance, etc.), but in a way that keeps it faithful to the iconic character while tweaking it for modern audiences.
- Reading between the lines, I don’t think the image of Godzilla that appeared on t-shirts released at Comic-Con is the production’s definitive version of the Big G — though it may very well reflect the effect they’ll be going for. The other one that was doing the rounds bears no relation to Legendary’s design at all.
Take a listen:
- Source: Monster Island News via Avery